Saturday, March 19, 2011

NOH8

Do you see that NOH8 picture in my profile picture? It probably isn't the first time you have seen it, nor will it be the last. I'm sure you know where I am going at this point. This week, we have seen many things that have brought light to the gay community. We saw the famous letter going viral to push President Obama to go to the next step in his defense on gay marriage, the infamous kiss between Kurt and Blain on "Glee", my first step to support by joining NOH8, and finding out that America is more ready for Same-Sex marriage than we thought.

As I have said many times, I am in support of gays and gay marriage and rights. And now many are coming forth and showing their support as well. We have seen that especially lately. I have also written several posts showing my anger towards the people that hypocritically speak out against the community, and that results to many teens and others taking their own life in the process. You can read my recent thoughts in my Heath Shuler, Outrage and Sickened posts.

This week I recognized and showed my support for the NOH8 campaign. And I noticed it by the famous stars in white with the NOH8 sign somewhere on them. And from there I noticed the many ways to show my support. For instance, I followed NOH8 and added the sign to my own picture, as you can see. You can add those to your Twitter account here. This campaign is growing huge in numbers, and has the stars to back it up.

Another big thing is the famous kiss between "Glee" characters Kurt and Blain. I used to be a faithful watcher, up until Christmas. And I was aware of the Kurt/Blaine relationship build-up since the beginning of season 2. But I was shocked to see how word of the kiss scene went viral. On Twitter, there were thousands that showed their support of it, and actually said, "Finally!" Something I totally wasn't expecting. I was expecting some criticism. That just shows that the media has changed from being scared of airing something like that, to airing it freely, and America accepting it.

Another thing that has gone viral is the letter to President Obama that is making it's way across the nation. Many famous celebrities such as Anne Hathaway, Eric McCormack, Jane Lynch and Melissa Etheridge came together to form this letter to send to Obama to convince him it's time to say "I Do". They say, "Mr. President, the time to end exclusion from marriage is now. We ask you to complete your journey and join us, and the majority of Americans, who support the freedom to marry." So far, there are 45,578 signers to date, and the number is continually growing. By now, I'm sure President Obama has read the letter, and is contemplating where he wants to go from here. If you want to join and sign the letter, you can do that here.

And the last thing that really caught my attention was that the majority of Americans are in support of same-sex marriage. Although it is a slim majority, 53% of Americans feel that gay couples should be married. This is a revalation in the nation because it is higher than the neck to neck tie among Americans. And when you think about it, this shows that all of the past points I have talked about have gotten a better response. People are finally realizing we are equal in every way, and that everyone deserves the same treatment. You can read this article here.

Hopefully at this point people will go to the next step and publicly show their support. And if that results in camping out in front of the White House with a NOH8 or any other support campaign sign hanging over their heads, then so be it. And hopefully that will result in real change for the better.

I want everyone reading this to post a comment on how they feel. I know we all don't share the same views, but I want to hear what everyone has to say. And I encourage you to spread this to many others. Some people may need that push to get them to move to the next step, and I hope this article can help with that.

It makes me proud to see America and people changing, and treating people the way they finally deserve, no matter who they are!

-Tyler

4 comments:

  1. I hate no...but I also do not believe in nor support gays in their push to gain the right to marry. That's it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support gay marriage 100% and I think public support has come a long way but I don't know if I buy that a majority of Americans support it. Maybe it's because I live in the so-called Bible belt but I still feel like those of us who support gay marriage continue to be a minority. I hope the data is correct but I'm skeptical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that everyone has the right for a happy life without judgement. Sexual orientation is irrelevent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support gay marriage fully.
    I live in the Netherlands, the country of which everyone who doesnt live here thinks is free and non-judging. How wrong you can be.
    Gay and lesbians never were a problem but there's a growing population here that really hate them. Aside of that, there are a lot of people here who say that they respect it but when it gets in their faces they dont want it.
    This blog is great, Tyler. As you said in your blog, you have done things to support NOH8. 3 good friends of mine and myself are busy setting up a flashmob in support of the gays and lesbians. This way we hope to give people a reality check by promoting NOH8.

    Love, Sher

    ReplyDelete