Saturday, July 16, 2011

Other Perspective

I felt that I needed to return to the Harry Potter finale topic after I seemed to be attacking the story and saying it was a horrible representation of the storyline. After cooling from my vent from yesterday, and hearing what other fans had to say, I figured I needed to return and talk not about what I didn't like about the movie, but what I did like, and how other fans have reacted.

Early numbers have already arrived, with over $43.5 million dollars coming in just from the midnight showings. That means that a rough number of 6.2 million people lined out the doors to get a first look into the movie. These numbers have already broken box office records, and this is just the beginning. Imagine the overall take that the movie will bring for the weekend.

Okay, so my last post focused on the bad parts on the film. I'm sorry, but I like to watch movie adaptations that are more honest to the book because I have read the book and there is already an expectation inside my mind. And with changes in the movies, it disrupts that flow, preventing me from enjoying the movie, and instead picking every little detail until I have a tally of every little change.

But I'm not going to talk about what I didn't like anymore, I'm going to spend some time on what I did like.

I liked the scene inside Gringotts. This part was very truthful to the book. And this was a moment where comedy could be accepted. And it was really great to see inside the deep vaults, something we haven't seen since the first year. And the scene with the dragon created excitement and urgency of the moment.

Probably my most favorite part of the film was after Harry's death in Kings Cross. I loved seeing Dumbledore again, someone that played a vital part without really being a part of the film. And while the part was longer in the book, where he explained the meaning behind the Deathly Hallows and the situation with his sister, the movie was good to explain the past 17 years, and then helped explain the many possibilities into the future.

So there were some good parts to the movie, that I won't lie. Just some things are a disappointment. But today, after my last post, there was a sense of ending. You think that this feeling would be away after the end of the 7th book, but the movie confirms that this is it, and now more. It has been a great 10 years, and I was so happy growing up with it.

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment