Friday, August 19, 2011

Deidre Hall

This woman is no stranger to the Daytime TV business.  She has been in it for over 30 years, and in the process, became a friend and idol to fans by playing the iconic role of Dr. Marlena Evans Black on Days of Our Lives.  Yes, I am talking about Deidre Hall.  And even I can proudly say that I grew up with her and her character while my mother watched it since my birth.  But now, after a two year break from the show, she is returning the famous character, making many fans very happy. 

Deidre, 63, who doesn't look that age by the way, has a very long track record during her life.  After graduating high school in 1965, she studied psychology before moving into the acting pathway.  She started with modeling gigs and commercials then went into the show "Electrawoman and DynaGirl".  She also appeared in "Emergency!" and "The Young and the Restless" before beginning her iconic role in Days in 1976. 

While she was unsure about her place in soap operas, she was cast and her fame began to shoot up.  She then juggled her scheduled by doing Days and then joining the show "Our House".  Then in the 80's, she left Days because of the strain, and then House was cancelled in two seasons.  She didn't immediately return to Days, but instead appeared on several different shows before returning in 1991.  And then in 1995, she produced and starred in her movie "Never Say Never: The Deidre Hall Story."  This movie depicted her struggles of becoming a mother. 

After her return of Days in 1991, she stayed on the show for eighteen years.  This is the era that I grew up in.  My mother told me about Deidre's iconic storyline when Marlena was possessed by the Devil.  And then my sister and I would watch every afternoon when her storyline was the Salem Serial Killer.  This storyline evolved into her in Meleswen and then her returned romance with Roman Brady and then her amnesia.  Then in 2009, her contract was terminated because of budget cuts.  At the time before she left the show, she was making a whopping $60,000 dollars a month. 

Since her departure, she has been traveling with her kids, guest hosting on a radio show, and then co-wrote a book called "Deidre Hall's Kitchen Closeup."

But the announcement was made that she is returning to Days.  This made me very happy to hear because I feel that the show went down hill and missing the classic acting that Deidre contributed.  And while I never really enjoyed watching soap operas, the character Marlena Black is the reason why I watched it.  So September 26th will be the day for many Deidre fans, and I'm sure it is going to be the feeling that we have felt from her for so many years. 

On Deidre's Twitter, she tells about some great plots, saying, "Back on stage. Its like never having been gone. Another long day...just like in the old Days! Check photos on my web site! D" and "What a fabulous week. Halloween in Salem is packed with amazing costumes and astounding drama. Great surprises from Darrell and Marlene!"

So if you aren't following her already, you should totally do it!  Go and follow her now! @DeidreHall

Deidre, if you are reading this, know that we are excited about you returning and we hope there is many years to come of your wonderful acting! 

So for all of you fans that are looking forward to Deidre's return, why don't you spend some time by telling us what is your favorite storylines that included Marlena.  And also predict what possible storylines could come in the future!

-Tyler

4 comments:

  1. The Affair is tops with the Paris storyline being a close second! John and Marlena is what got me hooked! I love the characters of Marlena and John separately, but together they have a dynamic that is matched by no one...primetime or daytime. September 26th can't come soon enough! Welcome back marlena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the possession s/l I think Deidre did an amazing job! I also love the affair and pillow baby s/l. The affair s/l was what got me to love J&M and the pillow baby just showed this tough side of marlena. I haven't watched Days since Jan. 23rd and have been waiting for Marlena and John black's return! It has finally come and I'm so excited for Sep. 26th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's 63? Holy crap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am beyond excited about her return! My favorite storyline was John and Marlena's affair. So steamy and full of angst. Deidre and Drake have the most amazing chemistry and they are absolutely gorgeous together. I'm hoping for a long lost child for J&M, Marlena was pregnant when she "died" in 1987, Stefano took that baby and sold it. I've always wanted J&M to have another child together and that's the only way to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete