Monday, November 22, 2010

Deathly Hallows

The beginning of the end has finally begun. Last weekend we saw the arrival of the new Harry Potter movie. The Deathly Hallows Part 1 brought in the most money out of any movie so far. Unfortunately, I didn't attend the midnight showing, but I did see it Saturday night. And since the book is split into two parts, I had high expectations. But when you read my review, you will tell that there was alot that could have been added and changed. Beware, for there will be tons of spoilers for people who have not read the book or watched the movie.

Before going to the movie, I asked one of my friends where the movie ended. Once I found that out, I gathered my book and looked for that location. And it was on page 500 out of 784, meaning that the majority of the 7th book is in the 1st part.

I was so excited to see the WB sign as it trasitioned into the film. The first change was they started the movie showing Harry, Herminone, and Ron instead of the Malfoy Mansion. And we quickly see the exit of the Dursleys, avoiding the emotional embrace by Dudley that is in the book. I really thought that was needed in the movie.

The film stays faithful until we reach the Burrow for the wedding. Harry's birthday is taken out of the movie, revealing that he turned 17 after the wedding disruption. But we do see the Minister come to read Dumbledore's will. It quickly moves into where the three are on the run, taking refuge at Sirius's former home. Unfortunately, not alot of time was spent in there compared to the book. We don't see the moments where Lupin comes, we also miss the search of Sirius's room, finding the letter by Lilly Potter.

Another thing that caught my eye was the scene at Godric's Hollow. This is where Ron has left the group and we see the fight between Harry and Nagini. It was pretty accurate up to the point where Hermione rescues Harry. In the book, Voldemort makes it to the scene right before the exit. I feel that having him there in the movie was needed because it helps show that Voldemort has failed time and time again to kill Harry, especially during this film.

One of the main things that stuck out to me is the part at the lake where Harry meets with Ron again and they recover the Sword of Gryfindor and destroy a Horcrux. What I really enjoyed was how they described the effects and illusions that the horcrux could create. If you have read the book, you know that the effect was to try and persuade Ron from destroying it. And creating a fake Harry and Hermione with a very revealing intimate moment was the Horcrux's choice. I was actually suprised how revealing the moment was. I actually had to shift from feeling awkward and uncomfortable.

Up to the end, the movie stays pretty accurate. The final scene with Harry is when he finishes the grave for Dobby, one of the saddest deaths during the movie. The scene then moves to an area near a big lake. We then realize that it is the area that Dumbledore is buried, and Voldemort breaks into the tomb and claims the Elder Wand. The problem I have with that is in the book, the tomb is located near the Hogwarts castle. The tomb may be located in the area, but it wasn't made clear. The movie then ends with Voldemort releasing ligtning with his new wand, the wand he thinks will destroy Harry.

Overall, I think it was a good movie. But what I really missed was having Hogwarts as the main setting. We really didn't have a main setting during this movie. But make no mistake, this next movie is going to be EPIC! Just wait. The finale is going to go with a bang!

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment