Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Fundraising Process Pt. 2

Fundraising Process Part 2

But, like all fundraisers, all of them have complications. And my complication occurred when I went to confirm the amount of food for the event. When I arrived there, the owner said they agreed to enough food for 20-30 people, when I assumed that they knew that my amount was for 200-300 people. When we both realized that there was an error in communication, we had to renegotiate the amount that they would donate. Luckily, they agreed to the full amount, with me having to receive a few food items donated, and a crisis was averted.

Asking for donations was very time consuming and very difficult. Those items were both for the decoration of the facility, and for the items in the silent auction. I wrote a very informative letter to businesses asking for any donations, whether an item or monetary gift. After sending close to one hundred letters, I asked businesses in person for another chance at receiving a donation. I received an amazing response with donations such as a plasma TV, jewelry, and a popular digital camera. The TV was so popular that we did a special raffle to help raise more money.

And then the time came when it was time to begin setting up for the event. On the day of the fundraiser, I spent twelve hours setting up all of the tables, signs and all of the donated items. Later on during the day, I ventured out to claim the food that we would be serving that night. After returning to the site, I immediately began letting servers serve the food and allowing guests to taking their chance at the silent auction.

Throughout the night, I also had the B*Naturals perform. The performance helped the guest feel comfortable, and helped them enjoy the night. At the end of the night, I saw my success as I realized I had exceeded my expectations. My expectations were $1500 and it was exceeded by $1700. It proved to me that my planning, organization and methods helped make the event a success.

So, if you were to decide on doing a fundraiser, you could try to follow the methods that I used and see if you are as successful. I talked to you about the first stage of planning, then I discussed on how to find the right places to hold the event. I also moved on to talk about the process of advertising and asking for donations. So with a good, organized plan, you can always make your attempts successful, especially in fundraising.

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment