Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sickened

Some people just really make me sick. I don't know why people are so cruel and uncompassionate towards people that do not share equal views, or do not openly share lifestyles because they fear that people will judge them for that reason. Whether it is about sexual orientation, political preference, ethnic groups, you name it. And the many different ways people treat them for those reasons are unconcievable.

For people who don't watch the news, tv of some sort, or read internet articles, a boy by the name of Tyler Clementi took his own life to escape the harsh treatment given by his roommate. A freshmen in college, attending Rutgers University, he really had his name out there. They say that he was a very accomplished musician through his school. I saw that he was featured in many school music videos on Youtube. And you know what, his life was changed forever because his roommate passed judgement on him.

Okay, I'm just going to get down to the nitty gritty. His roommate discovered that Tyler was making out with a guy from that same school. He tweeted about it (funny, but his twitter has now disappeared), talking sarcastically about what he knew.

Unknown to Tyler, this same roommate had a secret webcam in his room while engaging in sexual activities with this same guy. Get this though, the roommate streamed it live over the net, and tweeted for people to watch it. I'm not fully aware of the situation from there, but I assume that he found out and took his own life by jumping the George Washington bridge. Such a tragedy.

I don't know about you, but I am pretty mad about this. Not only did he expose this guy's privacy, but he also streamed it live in front of potentially millions of viewers. And you know that people get off of this type of public humiliation.

People like that give people and the internet a bad name. No wonder schools try to regulate everything we do. No wonder people are afraid to really express what they want to say or what they feel. Look at Bishop Eddie Long and other political leaders. They don't know this, but what they say impacts someone one way or another.

Now, I have already said that I support gay rights and everything that involves that. It's not something that I would do, but why should I pass judgment on someone for who they love or what they do? I know I would hate people passing judgement on me for something. And just imagine if we all could stop all of this bigotry and people could feel safe in what they want to do. The world would be such a better place to live in. Just something to think about. I'll be praying for Tyler Clementi and his family tonight. And I think we should all pray for the people that instigate this stuff to happen.

-Tyler

5 comments:

  1. Well written and well thought out. Thank you for posting this Tyler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this about Tyler today in New York Times and I was ashamed of what happen to him. If I had a homosexual roommate I would respect his private life and mind my own business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also read about Tyler Clementi and the whole thing just pains so much. My heart weeps for that boy and how cruel his roommate and the other girl could be to do such a thing. He was only 18 years old and two weeks into a wonderful new experience of college. Everyone in college should be there with an open heart to learning, and developing into their 'adult person' - away from mom and dod. For many gay men - college gives them the opportunity to finally accept who they truly are... but not for Tyler. He was 'outed' in the cruelest way possible - against his permission, live on the internet. Makes you think about what's WRONG with those two young people who did this.

    My heart goes out to Tyler - he's no longer in pain - but mostly to his mother and father, siblings, friends, and loved ones. You are not alone. There are others out in the world who hear your story and weep for your wonderful, beautiful and talented son.

    We are all human. We are all fragile and wounded. I work and pray/mediate for the day when we all accept each other for the beautiful piece of god that resides within.

    Namaste, Tyler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't understand is this the real tyler's blog? Can someone please explain me? I found this link on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew-You have such a religious view on this. I respect that, but I do not agree. Homosexuality is written as a sin in the bible, but the bible was written thousands of years ago. Society has evolved in a way that makes a lot of the bible unrelatable. Take for instance eating shrimp. In the bible it states that it's a sin to eat shrimp, but many religious people eat shrimp anyway. If you're going to follow the bible, why don't you follow ALL of it instead of just some of it? I don't understand.

    ALL people should be treated the same. Whether gay, straight, black, white, goth, jock, Mormon, Catholic. WE ARE HUMANS! There's too much hate in the world, and we need to make a change.

    R.I.P. Tyler. You died far too young.

    ReplyDelete