Sunday, October 3, 2010

Touched

I now feel that my voice is being heard in the world. My last post overall saw over 1400 views. That just proves that people really are opening their eyes to these things going on. People watching the things with Bishop Eddie Long and Tyler Clementi are now realizing that things need to change...and for the better.

Just a few short minutes ago, I saw a post on Yahoo talking about how people's opinion on gay marriage and gay rights have now changed. It used to be that America was 50/50 on the view. And on their poll, over 40,000 people voted, and 53% are now in favor, and 47% opposed. Opinions are now changing. Sadly, it takes very big issues such as Tyler Clementi's suicide to make people really think on these things.

Okay, moving on. I have told you that things are not so great with my job right now. Actually, it continues to get worse. Not my point though. My point is that yesterday I worked at our little "foam factory". It's where kids can come in and play with styrofoam balls. They love it. Yesterday we had a party in the building, and all of the kids came to play in the foam factory.

One of the kids belonged to my old english teacher. And this child has cerebral palsy. It just broke my heart to see him. It breaks my heart to see any child with a disability. They don't deserve to live a hard life. Anyways, he was very excited to come in. He started playing on the bottom floor. He comes up to me and asks where his brother is. I said I would help him.

After we find him, he decides he wants to go up the steps and go down the slides. His parents come in to help him, but I insisted that I had things under control. He made it up the steps, and I helped him get on the slide. After he knew he could make it from there, he pushed me away and said that he would see me at the bottom. So I rushed down to meet him, and I see him with a big smile as he came out. He insisted that he did it again and again, and I followed him every step of the way.

The thing that got me was that he wanted to go up to the very highest point of the structure. It is a tunnel that hangs over the entire things. I have never been able to cross it because I am terrified of heights. But he wanted to do it. I told I was not able to go across, but that I would see him on the other side. I go and he is almost there. I tell him that he did super well, alot better than what I could. And he said the thing that still waters my eyes, "I'm not afraid." I'm not even going to explain why it gets to me.

It is time for him to leave, and he says that he had so much fun. He parents are truly grateful. They say it was nice for me to give both him and them a moment to do their own thing. They said I had the most patience they have ever seen in a person, and that I should consider a degree in special education. And later, someone comes up to me and says, "I heard all of the great things you did for that boy." That entire experience touched me in more ways than one.

And that is why I work there. To give children the experience of a lifetime, and to make them feel that they are important. I know that things are bad now, but I have hope that things will get better.

Ha, I had alot to talk about today. I hope you all take a moment to think about the things I said today and apply it to your life tomorrow!

-Tyler

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    Hello Mr.Tyler, I'm planning to start a group of bloggers to publish e-books/e-magazine. This includes different Articles, Short stories and Photography. Your blog is very nice and I wish you could join our team. It is a non-profit project only to publish our works and no more than that. If you are interested, contact me and I'll pass on further information regarding this matter. clubrfz@gmail(.)com

    ReplyDelete