Monday, June 14, 2010

Afterwards

Well guys, I am an official graduate of 2010!  There is really no words to describe the feeling.  It is the feeling of relief and insecurity, and excitment and fear sadness all wrapped up in one big box.  But I'm sure I am not the only person going through this in the country. 

The best part was that I graduated with honors.  That was something I really didn't expect, but I was perfectly happy to accept.  It wasn't high honors like some got, but hey, I'll take what I can get!  My parents were also very happy when they heard my name and "honors" following it.  They still talk about it even to this minute. 

I also got to sing with my friends for the final time yesterday.  The seniors, myself included, sang the national anthem.  That is something not many people get to do in their lifetime, so it is certainly an experience I will treasure forever. 

And then of course there was the walk across the line itself,  when they called my name, I felt like I was just crossing the stage to get a paper.  It never felt like I was stepping into this new point, new chapter, new world in my life.  It didn't when I tossed my cap into the air, and neither did it when I was taking pictures with all of my family.  It did hit me when we were all gathered to eat, and I think it hit me hard. 

I had help to distract myself though.  I had my cousin from out of town to talk to, and then my sister, cousin and I went to a bonfire thrown by my fellow graduate.  That was fun as well.  All of these things are a great distractions, until you get into the shower and realize you actually graduated and wonder if what you experienced was a dream. 

Today I had another distraction by working a 9 hour shift.  But eventually it will finally catch up to me, and I will finally have to realize that I am graduating, and I don't even want to know how I'm going to react. 

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment