Thursday, June 10, 2010

Impactful Memory

So since I am graduating in a few days and all, I thought I would share with you one of my most heart felt essays that I think I have written before my big send off.  Originally, I wrote it for a scholarship.  Since then, I did not recieve the scholarship, but the people who inspired me to write this asked me to read it out to several occasions, one being next week.  The essay's prompt was to write about an event or person that impacted my life the most.  I hope you enjoy!

The event that impacted my life the most occurred when I received a letter announcing that I was nominated by my teachers to join the New Century Scholars program during my 7th grade year. After reading the letter, I felt it was a program that I would have to put a lot of work into, and never really see the rewards that it offered. But after 6 years, it has proven to be a program that has changed my life forever.

This program taught a young, selfish student to learn how to freely give the community countless hours, without really expecting anything in return. True, in the beginning I had my eyes out for the gold, the big prize that I would gain after only six years, and the minimum of sixty hours of service within that time. My attitude turned quickly after learning what the secret, richer prizes were while I was giving my service and time.

The real prize was the feeling of having a heart of gold after committing my time to an individual or organization and feeling that I really made a contribution to that cause. It was more rewarding than money or any sort of physical item could grant you. I then realized that my first impression of this program was very premature and naïve.

Since then, this program has become a vital part of my life. It has taught me to be very responsible and take charge of a situation in every opportunity I could. I also learned to be very organized and precise on how I approached a situation. I worked under the wisdom of two great mentors of the program and respected all the time and inspiration that they put into it. I also found my ability to use this program to make wonderful friends that I will treasure forever.

And even during my current year at Franklin High School, I honored the program by using my senior project to raise money and help give this same one-in-a-lifetime opportunity to so many capable students out in our community. I brought both students and citizens together to show how much of a lasting effect the past six years has left on my heart. Honestly, no words can really express the impact that the project left on me, nor can it even begin to repay for the many hours former students spent to pave a road for my continued education.

I think back six years ago and wonder how my life would be right now if I had turned down my spot in the program. I certainly wouldn’t be here telling you how much New Century Scholars pushed me to the limits, expanded my horizons, and shown how much of a humble community we live in today. I wouldn’t be telling you how I turned from giving my time in exchange for money and personal gain, to spending numerous hours for something that I love and not expect anything in return. Sure, I may be close to reaching that great prize soon, but it will never compare to the life lessons and amazing tales that will stay with me forever.

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment