Friday, August 20, 2010

Thunder: Chapter 9.5

Chapter 9.5- The Truth

Lance finally made it to the driveway of his house. He had a stitch in his chest. That cold water had affected him more than he thought it did. He walked as fast as his body could take him. When he reached closer to the house, he saw Katie’s car. Why was she here?


He reached the door knob and turned it. He went through it in a hurry and shut it. The first thing he saw was Bonnie and Katie in the kitchen. They both screamed. Bonnie quickly went into her secret kitchen draw, and pulled out a pistol. She quickly ran towards Lance and pointed it at him. Lance knew this wasn’t good.

“Whoa don’t Bonnie! Its me, Lance.” He pulled the mask off revealing his face and his wet hair.

“Oh my god Lance you scared us to death!” she said.

“Sorry.”

“Where the hell have you been?”

“Uh,” he started, “Jogging.”

“Uh huh,” she said. “And I guess you got so energized you decided to swim too.”

Lance looked around him. He was drenched, and the floor around him. “Possibly.”

“How dare you do such a thing!”

“I guess you know,” he said.

“Of course I know! Its all over the news! Mystery detective strikes again! I thought it had to be someone else because only someone stupid would do something like that. But I should have know that you would do it!”

“Someone had to do something.” He said.

“Yes, the police!”

“No they wouldn’t,” he said, “I got a report from our database and they were going to ignore it. I have been on this guy’s tail. I just wasn’t going to let him go free without a fight.”

Bonnie turned around and went to the kitchen and threw the pistol on the counter. Then she looked at the tv screen while Sandra was still going into depth about the story.

“You see that? They know that someone did that! And if they trace it to you, they will arrest you for tampering in police affairs.”

“They won’t,” he said, “I was covered so they didn’t see my face. I walked there so they don’t know how I got there.”

“And that makes me feel all better!”

Lance tried to get comfort from Katie. But when he looked at her he only got a surprised expression. He moved closer into the house. “Now lets just all calm down.”

“Yeah your right,” she said, “Lets just calm down.”

She sat down in the dining room chair. It was quiet for a good while. She finally broke the silence, “Well now that you have had your fun there won’t be no need to worry about it now.”

“Uh yeah about that,” he said.

“I don’t like the sound of this,” Katie finally spoke.

“Neither do I,” Bonnie agreed.

“Well I’m going to keep doing this,” he said.

Bonnie looked at him. “As a crime fighter huh?”

“Yeah”.

She looked at him and laughed.

“What?”

“You can’t be serious,” she said. She couldn’t stop laughing.

“I am.”

Bonnie and Katie looked at him. “Oh my god your serious,” Katie said.

Lance nodded.

“I think you have gone crazy,” Bonnie said.

“Someone needs to save this city,” he said, “I didn’t realize this until last night. Canton has always been known for pride and prosperity. But that’s just a mask for its true self. The city is full of drugs, crime and petty. The people in charge puts a mask over the truth so they can continue to be the respected people they are. And they corrupt our law enforcements so they are able to ignore the truth. That’s got to stop.”

Bonnie stopped laughing. Lance did have a point. But she shook the thought out of her head. “So what do you plan to do?”

Lance was glad he finally got their attention on a serious level. “I want to unmask the city by wiping out the crime, drugs and petty. I want the city to rid of its secrets and be able to maintain it’s pride.”

Bonnie jumped up in protest. “You can’t do this, I won’t let you. You’re not Batman, Superman, or any kind of super hero. Your just a kid.”

“I’m well capable. I learned most of the martial arts, and I’m well motivated.”

“What do you mean well motivated,” she asked.

Lance sighed. This was something he wanted to avoid. “I was only outside my mom’s office when she died.” He saw Bonnie’s expression sadden. “I wanted to find who killed her. But I didn’t because I thought the so called Police would catch them. They didn’t. Now it’s my turn to help people who are like the way I was. I’m going to do this Bonnie, whether or not you approve.”

It was silent. No responses. Then Bonnie dropped a tear on her bed robe. “A week before your mom died, I promised her that I would protect you, care for you like you were my own. I would betray her so much by letting you do something so suicidal.”

Katie looked at Lance. She walked close to her and knelt beside her.

“Like it or not he is going to do it,” Katie said.

“You can’t shield me forever Bonnie,” Lance said.

Bonnie wiped another tear from her eye and looked at him. “I know,” she said. And she got up and hugged him. “I wish I could though.”

And she released him. She held back more tears. “Well then,” she said, “I guess there’s nothing more to say about it. We’ll talk more over breakfast.” And she turned and walked towards the heated pan.

Lance looked towards Katie and saw the same expression. It was like he had given Bonnie his death sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment