Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Celiac

Hey guys. I promised in my last post that my new one would feature the shows that have been off the air. Well I'm going to put that topic on the back burner, but I will return to it, I promise.

The reason I am changing my topic plans is because there is a topic that has come to my attention very recently, and has been on my mind ever since.

Before I start, there are a few things I should make clear. First of all, all my life (18 years), I have been rather thin. And even now, I only weigh between 100-105 pounds.

On Monday, I had to go to Asheville to go have a checkup with my Gastrologist. Like every other doctor, you have to get weighed in. On their scales, I weighed 104.8. Not really anything new for me. When he came in, his main concern was my weight; saying that I had lost 5 pounds since my last visit.

We then began going through my daily routines. We identified many symptoms, some I thought were natural things such as headaches, nausea, weight loss, and numbness and tingling in my hands and feet.

His first theory was Celiac Disease. Now, lets take a moment for all of you who are not medical term literate. Who all know what gluten is? Well it is something that you mainly see in breads, and can really "put some junk in your trunk" if you eat too much of it. Well in Celiac Disease, the gluten eats the protein that the body consumes, preventing the body to gain and even lose weight. This is also a auto immune disease and can be passed down genetically.

He had other theories such as an over/under active thyroid. He wanted to test on these two plus 11 other things just to see how well my body was working. I am not a needle fan, but it was pretty easy. 3 tubes of blood. I didn't know I had that much, haha.

Two days have passed, and no results have been reported to me. I am literally climbing up the walls. In my heart, I have accepted that I could have Celiac. All my symptoms point to that, and my grandfather also is very thin. The only treatment for this is a complete gluten diet. I had a hard time thinking about that because bread products are in so much of food now. Especially in fast food.

But I have went on this gluten-free diet, just to see if I would feel better and help diagnose myself. I feel great, and I have had minimal symptoms compared to before. Another reason to point to that.

I'm not sure if I'll get the test result for Celiac, but I'm very hopeful that I'll hear somthing in the morning. Cross your paws!!

Thanks you guys for reading this. This is something that I think will change my life if things turn out how I expect them to. I will certainly alert you of all the tests I hear about!!

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment