Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hero

I spent the entire morning out on the beach.  It was rather fun.  More fun than it used to be.  It was very warm though.  Now that I'm typing this I can feel my knee and the top of my foot burning.  I don't believe in sunscreen, so I guess I was asking for it.  But I finished my book today, and that is all that matters. 

With that being said, I finished the book that I was excited to talk to you about.  I told you that I would be digging into the book 'Hero'.  And at the beach, I was able to read it twice as fast. 

First off, it was a real nice chance of pace compared to the Star Wars saga that I have read for the past year and a half.  I read over 50 Star Wars book in that time, so you probably would know that I am sorta burnt out. 

I really went out of my box when I choose to read 'Hero'.  I haven't read many novels that combine action-packed adventure and romance, but I haven't read any of the novels where the main character is gay.  I don't think any sort of gay novels have been widely popular, but this book recieved positive reviews, so I decided to give it a shot. 

And it was very good.  It combined the character's struggle to contain his sexuality and emotions with his attempt to join the very powerful super hero group known as The League.  It also included the many mysteries that Thom, the main character, has to uncover. 

There was something that did bother me though.  It really resembled characters to the DC Comics group.  Superman, Wonderwoman, Flash, and bits and pieces of Batman kepts popping in my head when some of these characters were described.  Some to a T.  One character pretty much had the same background story related to Superman.  And the same character seemed to have a dark secret that seemed to be related to the Superman from 'Batman Beyond'.  I felt that it needed more originality on that part, but hey, it helped me familiarize with some of the characters. 

But really, it was worth every penny, and every page that was turned.  It had the emotion, the laughter, the sad moments, and moments of pride and excitement.  I think some people would think that reading a gay novel would be weird, but I am totally not weirded out about it.  I enjoyed it alot, and I plan on reading it again in the future.  So go and get your copy today. 

I hope you enjoyed the review.  I hope to get into my new book later tonight and I hope to be able to review it on here when I get done.  The title is 'Ship Breaker' and it sounds really good!!  I'll let you know when I finish!

Talk to you all soon!

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment