Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Personal Hell

I hate it, but every Tuesday I feel like I want to pull my hair out.  And let us not forget the past two Fridays that I have had to endure.  Like I have said in the past, I have two jobs, one just for the summer season.  I actually took it before I was ever offered the job at my more permenant job.  And I felt like I had a sense of obligation both towards the program director and the program coordinator, since they have been there for me so many times. 

Well, my first impressions of the job appeared to be correct.  It seems to be a very unorganized program, totally unlike my impressions of it when I helped for it a time or two in the past.  Kids are EVERYWHERE!   And not the quiet ones either.  They are the ones that send the voices in your head into a deep part of your mind. 

They don't obey an instructor's command or learns from the disipline that they recieve.  You can tell them to sit down or be quiet all you want, and they will look you in the eyes when you do it, and they will continue to disobey.  The classes get so long and boring, that they decided it is more fun to run around and start throwing things.  Eventually you just have to either ignore them, put your head on the table very hard, or take the liberty to make up a new activity for them to do. 

And don't get me started on the staff.  Some people apparently don't want any money, because they get subs for their classes all the time!  And then when it comes down to it, the subs wind up teaching the whole class, including taking on the liability in case a child gets hurt.  That just goes to show that the staff is not under proper control, and some needs to be fired. 

But you will enjoy this next part.  Last Friday, I subed for the leader of this one group of first graders, and the other counselor had a sub as well.  Exciting already?  Well we spent the beginning of the day at the park in town, which actually went very well.  Then, after returning to school, the activity coordinators invited my group to participate in the water activities outside. 

They had small pools and a water slide.  And you know what my kids did?  The first thing they did was get in and start putting heads under forcefully.  You can yell at them all you want to make them stop, but you turn your head, and they are at it again.  Not only that, but they put mud in the pools, peed in the pool, and started physical fights. 

The coordinators were trying to figure out who they belonged to and one said, "That's Tyler's group".  That was so embarrassing for me because it made me look like I had no control of them, but at the same time, people need to understand that subs should not have the responsiblities of all these kids dumped on their lap just because the regular staff can't get out of bed. 

See my frustration?  Every day I enter to work at that program, I hate the job alittle bit more.  My mom says that I should just walk up and quit.  But, I only have four Tuesdays left, and I think I can control myself until them.  After that, when I am asked to work again, I can politely but firmly say, "NO THANK YOU". 

Thanks for reading my rant.  I really needed to let out some steam.  On that note, have a great day!

-Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment