Friday, July 30, 2010

Thunder: Chapter 6

Chapter 6: The Beginning

Lance hit the punching bag once again. Sweat was streaming down his back and chest. He had been going at it for several hours. His mother always insisted that he took some type of defensive class. And once she died, he thought that he should take a class.


For some reason, he knew that his mother’s death had him connected somehow. Because it was rare for a principal to be killed for no reason, at a school. And besides, nothing was taken at the scene. The killer was clearly after her. Which means that the killer could be after him?

It was strange that he was just now thinking of this. After all this time, he never thought that he could be a target. But now, he could be in even more danger. For he was now the inheritor of his mother’s money.

He finally decided that it was time to quit. It was nearly 11:30, and he was tired. He took the bottle of water that Bonnie had given to him hours before, and drank it. It felt good going down his throat.

He went next to his bag, and got his shirt and put it on. Having it off for so long made his body feel cool. Then he headed towards Katie’s direction. He just realized that she was still there. She had been working on the computer silently for hours, looking at the big screen mounted on the wall.

It seemed like nothing was going on. For no sounds notified her that something was going on. She finally stopped typing and turned towards Lance.

“Its quiet tonight,” she said in a aggravated tone. Lance knew that after several hours working on the computer, and not finding anything would make her feel over the edge.

“I think I’m going to call it quits for today.”

“I think that’s a good idea,” Lance replied, “I’m going to turn in too.”

Katie got up and gathered her things. Then turned around, “I guess I will see you tomorrow.”

“Ok then”

“Night”

She walked past him, and went out the door. She would soon head out the bottom floor door. Lance sat down in front of the computer, and started to surf the internet.

While driving down the road, Katie’s phone rang. It actually woke her up from her original state, which was a good thing. She dug into her purse and flipped open the phone.

“ ‘Ello?” She asked yawing.

“It’s me”

“Shannon? What are you doing calling people near midnight?”

Shannon was in her car, several blocks away from the Canton Dockyards.

Shannon looked around, to see if anybody was watching her. “You remember what you told me about you and Lance helping the police with the latest crime waves?”

“Uh, yeah,” Katie replied. “Why is this so important?”

“Well, uh,” she began, “I kinda thought that it would be fun to join in and everything, doing crime fighting and stuff. So I have been all over the city looking for some leads, and I think that I have a major lead in the big drug scandal.”

This news made Katie alert. And it helped her from ramming into the car in front of her. “What? How?”

“Well, I have been watching a lot of CSI and Law and Order, and I did a lot of research on where to find a criminal. And that most criminals were mostly in abandoned places, or places where people feared going to.”

“So far so good,” Katie said.

Shannon continued, “So anyways, I took it upon myself, and I went to all of the abandoned places in the city, and guess what? There was activity at the old Neil Bar place.”

Katie was still confused with this info, yet she continued to listen. “And they were loading a bunch of boxes into this van, and they drove all the way to the dock yards. So naturally I followed them. And then they were loading the boxes onto a cargo boat.”

Katie was beginning to understand, once she was able to truly wake up. “So your trying to tell me that these people are breaking into the dockyards, and loading boxes into a boat, without authorization?”

“Yeah,” Shannon answered. “And they never ship things out until morning. This means that whatever they are shipping is too important to wait until the morning. Which means that they are shipping—“

“Drugs,” Katie cut off. Shannon agreed with her. She pulled off to the side of the road, to get full concentration. “So, where are you at now?”

“In my car,” she replied, “I called you as soon as I figured everything out.”

“Your still there?” Katie exclaimed.

“Uh, yeah. I decided to run in here when I tipped the trashcan near one of the storage units.”

“Oh my god Shannon, you got to get out of there! They could be looking for you right now!”

“Well what do I do,” she questioned.

“Well first off,” Katie said, “Get out of there! Then second, call the police, and tell them anonymously what you know, not that CSI stuff, but just the part that you know something is going on at the dockyards.”

“Okay, I’m on it. And while I do that, what will you be doing?”

“Nothing,” she said.

“Why,” Shannon said stunned.

“Because,” Katie started, I’m not a crime fighter; I’m an expert computer hacker, who was able to hack into police records. I can’t do anything. Let the police handle it.”

Katie hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment